Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Cell Phone data plans

T-Mobile recently ran a commercial that states that they offer data plans starting at $10 a month... Well, I went and found out what that means:  $10 for 200MB a month.   I then installed an app on my phone called "Stats Free" to calcuate my data usage, cleared it's logs, deleted all my local email cache and then I synced my 3 email accounts back on, and updated a few apps that were out of date...  I blew through 17.8MB in 10 minutes.   Sure, abnormal behavior.   However, I am a pretty heavy data user, and I wanted to get a number that represented what I might actually use in a month, without having to wait that long...   Assuming I can keep myself under that much in an entire day (I mean, I DO have WiFi at work and at home... How hard can it be?), I would still require a 500-600MB per month data plan.

So much for T-Mobile's "Cheap" plans...