Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The risks of WiFi

And almost certainly illegal, and very certainly immoral...

I follow this blog... http://nonbovine-ruminations.blogspot.com/  It's pretty good. Talks about all kinds of nerdy stuff, including ham radio and computers and technology and pretty much everything I find interesting.   You should all go read through some of the archives, they really are a good read.   But the most recent post is the one I will refer to in this post.   It was about the dangers of unencrypted networks.   I have long known the powers of Airsnort, Aircrack, and other tools used for monitoring wireless networks.   I knew you could listen to, and record anything that is ever sent over a wireless network.   I thought it was cool...   But it was complicated, and I didn't really care...

But that blog post referred to a Firefox extension called Firesheep, http://codebutler.com/firesheep, which will happily record packets, focusing primarily on usernames and passwords to websites that it cares about.  And when you click on a person's username?  It logs you in as them.  Super easy, super creepy.   Now, like I said, this is almost certainly illegal, and I don't suggest anyone use it...   I do suggest, however, that you all go into your Facebook settings and turn on HTTPS.  And I suggest you get smart about where you log into stuff.   And if your on an unencrypted network, be careful about what data you enter.   Cuz this is just stupidly easy to use.  

As a last thought, TMCC and UNR both encrypt their wireless networks now.  Therfore, it is safe to use your computer and browse to your hearts content in those locations.   Still, a bit of vigilance can go a long, LONG ways....